Formal Email Letter (Week 2)

Subject: Quick Introduction

Dear Prof. Brad Blackstone,

My name is Muhammad Zaki Bin Saifee, and I am writing to formally introduce myself to you. I graduated with a diploma in Electrical Engineering from Ngee Ann Polytechnic in 2017. I am currently pursuing the degree in Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering specializing in building services, at the Singapore Institute of Technology.

I chose to study this because I have an interest in building and designing things. I believe humans are leaders in this world. We have the ability to think and act so we should be mindful of the environment, the animals and each other when building things. From an early age, I fed my interest of building things through open-world creative games. These type of games allow players to create and innovate in a sandbox world which often include real world logic circuits. I also value nature. My decision for the degree was simply confirmed with climate change being the recent hot topic. I understand that there is growing demand for green collars in the job industry, according to my previous intern colleagues from Surbana Jurong.

Communicating effectively has been a challenge for me. I struggle at presentations and controlling eye contact with the people I talk to. I recalled myself stuttering quite frequently at my last presentation to my module lecturers back in my polytechnic. I tried to look at them but ended up looking to only a few of them. Even so, I do have my strengths in communication. According to my friends and ex-colleagues, I have a friendly tone, and I listen more than I talk.

My goal for this module is to walk away with bigger confidence in writing and presenting effectively which is essential in this ever connected world. I also wish to replace my bad communication habits to better ones. I look forward to learning from you.

Best wishes,


Muhammad Zaki Bin Saifee


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commented on
YING JIA https://sie2016yingjia19.blogspot.com/
SARAH https://sarahseening.com/formal-letter/
CHRISTOPHER https://cristoforee.blogspot.com/2019/09/assignment-1-formal-letter.html#comments

12 Comments

  1. Hi Zaki, I felt that you did a nice job on your letter. You did a good job describing what you are passionate in, and included relevant examples of your points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zaki,
    It is very relaxing to read your blog. The content and organisation is amazing.
    I fully agree with your idea that we should have a mindful attitude towards the environment.

    However, you may want to include and elaborate the strength that you have in communication.

    Hopefully, my feedback would be of use to you.

    "The Earth does not belong to man; man belongs to Earth." - Chief Seattle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ying Jia,
      I am glad to know that you find my blog relaxing to read. Thank you for your feedback. I wanted to elaborate on the strength but it would exceed the word limit. I purposely state my weaknesses first because I feel it is the most important point to get across. Great quote. Thank you

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Zaki. The content and organisation of your letter was great. You've done a good job in describing your passion and how it eventually led you to your current degree. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zi You for the feedback. I look forward to reading more of yours as well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Zaki,

    Liked your content especially on how your choice of degree program was influence by your love of open-world creative games. On the other hand, I was thinking if "I also love nature." can be placed elsewhere as it feels a bit abrupt currently. Looking forward to read your other writings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Zaki,

    Thank you for this fairly well-developed and informative letter. There's a clear indication of your sincerity in this letter as you've provided enough concrete detail that we readers learn something significant about your background and your interests. For example, you mention the way you view humans as 'leaders' in this world and how we need to take care of it, and you connect this to your own interest in design and engineering. I do have one question though related to your explanation. What do you mean by 'open world creative games'? Perhaps a sentence of explanation connecting that to your interest would have been useful.

    In the letter you also detail quite well your communication strengths and weaknesses. We will certainly address the nonverbal and verbal behaviour in presenting that you mention, and you'll get some practice with feedback during the project work.

    I look forward to reading more from you during the term.

    Cheers,

    Brad




    I look forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you very much for your feedback. I will take note to elaborate uncommon terms. "Open-world, creative games" are sandbox games that spark minds to create and innovate in an artificial digital world where we can roam and test our creations in it, with the use of the games' developer tools. These types of games often include real world logic circuits in them and are in most cases, fun. At least for me.

      Thanks,

      Zaki

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the detailed explanation, Zaki. Maybe you can weave that info into your original post.

      Cheers, Brad

      Delete