Critical Reflection


At the start of the course, we were asked to reflect on the importance of communications skills for engineers and to state what we want to achieve by the end of the module. My goals were to improve my presentation skills as well as my writing. I definite took a lot of learning points from the class. We were organised into various groups almost every alternate week to simulate the typical work environment as much as possible. This is due to the fact that the modern-day work environment is a constantly changing one. At first, we were uncomfortable having to each quickly summarise from many different sources only to share it in key points or bite-sized information to each other. After a few lessons, we were already put into situations where we have to talk to each other and discuss. Along came the peer reviews and blog comments which help to give different perspectives as to how we can improve our writing which include citations. All these interactions helped me garner my confidence in talking to my newly acquainted peers. We wrote drafts for our summary and reports every week while receiving timely feedback from professor Brad Blackstone and classmates. Throughout the module experience, I tried to talk more than I have ever did in my life. Regarding presentations, although I feel I did quite badly, I do see myself improving. The most memorable learning points were how to create better presentation slides, where to position myself and how to pass the limelight to the other presenter.

For our team project, I was picked by my teammates to be the leader for the team. I was hesitant to take the responsibility, but later agreed to take the role. Our focus for our project was sustainability. We took a different approach to finding our problem. We finalised our decision and chose to focus on food sustainability on the area of cultured meat being a food alternative that needs to be introduced more in Singapore specifically SIT. Throughout the project duration, we had to keep changing our drafts. Listening to each other was essential in the process to come into any agreement. We gave each other feedback for our presentations and exchanged viewpoints. The pressure to meet the set deadlines and standard forced us into doing what is urgent first. The project learning experience made me realise how we have to be open to criticism in order to improve. Each of our team members write differently. To change something in our shared report document and slides, we must constantly communicate with everyone well. I learned how sometimes I tend to lose focus while listening to soft talk and get stressed quickly. Thanks to this project learning experience, I feel better prepared to meet new people, initiate conversations and present and write ideas better.

At the presentation showcase, I watched an excellent presentation by Team Recyclables who are my classmates, Angelina, Joe, Ying Jia and Mikaela. Their solution was a combination of two ideas which I feel was innovative. They delivered the presentation way better than their practice presentation at class. I recall my team and Team Recyclables practised and gave feedback for one another in an empty classroom after school. They keep their slides well organised and effective, using interesting pictures and a quote to spice things up. They engaged the audience well and made sure to slow things down so that we audience can understand better. The way they passed the limelight to each other was something taught by Professor Brad which focuses on the content instead of the person. It made a big difference. In order to make the presentation more impactful, they can add a video of their solution and then explaining it.

0 Comments